Monday, March 5, 2012

Writing Assignment #1

I suppose so far I am doing fairly well in keeping this regularly updated. Of course, it's been three days. So I will try not to get ahead of myself.

As a recap of recent events, well, there are none.
Yesterday I just worked, pretty much. We finished our monthly price audit and did some other necessary upkeep on the store. Nothing too totally draining or hectic but still made a pretty decent dent in our completely huge list of shit we need to do. Afterwards, my coworker (who happens to be one of my best friends (oh yea, and recently my boss)) went to Target so she could buy herself and me some shampoo. And then to Walmart for pretzels. Have you ever had Buffalo pretzels? Go. Now.

Today I accomplished very little beyond several loads of laundry. In unpacking old bags of clothes, I came across some missed items including my infancy baby blanket, my 100% cashmere BR sweater from Goodwill, all of my nice dress skirts and slacks, my Snuggie, my favorite dress and all of my "special occasion" gowns. Not an entirely productive day, but at least it was interesting. The very best part of it all was being able to spend quite a bit of time on Skype with my boyfriend.

Bear with me for a bit while I tell you a bit about one of the greatest parts of my life right now.

I've never had a relationship wherein we "took it slow." My formula is pretty much "Nice to meet you, we get along. Let's live together."
So I exaggerate, but really, I've always moved pretty moronically fast in relationships. The outrageous downside to this is of course that there is no foundation of friendship on which to build your connection with one another.

In August, I began to build a friendship with a young man named Kyle. We met in an internet community specific for residents of Arizona to get to know one other and extend their networks. I was already heavily involved in this community and had begun the process of organizing a party for all of us so that we could socialize offline and become closer friends. I knew mostly everyone who was to be in attendance though many of them didn't know one another in real life.

Kyle, Reala as he was called, was someone I had conversed with on a fair number of occasions, though we weren't as close aa myself and many of the others in this community but we got along well enough and I really wanted him to attend. In the course of arranging and providing everyone with the party details, he and I exchanged phone numbers in early September and began texting frequently. Come the night of the party in mid-September, he was my ride and when he picked me up that night we met in person for the first time.

Following that night, he and I began to text one another more and more frequently and it wasn't long until it became several hours a day spent sending text messages back and forth. He and I both had busy schedules and while we agreed we wanted to hang out again, we weren't really sure when we would find the time. It ended up coming a month later when he picked me up after work and we went out for Chinese food. It was on this night that it began coming to light that he and I thought very similarly about many things. Our personalities aligned all too well and it was clear to us both, or at least to me, that we would benefit greatly from a friendship. It was also clear to me that he was insanely good looking. And that I wanted to kiss him.

We did not kiss that night. Over the course of the next five weeks, it got to the point that if we were both awake, we were texting each other. Though, still, we didn't have very much free time, we agreed we needed to see each other again. One night in mid November he asks me if I would accompany him to a movie next week. No. Seriously. He said "Scout, would you like to see Immortals with me next week?" I still to this day don't know if he was "asking me out on a date" but frankly, I don't care. The idea of seeing him again thrilled me. I had grown so attached to his friendship and the connection we shared. Even though I'd only met him twice face-to-face, I knew I wanted a chance to be with him. And spending an evening with him, seeing a movie with him, was one step closer to that objective. We were both intensely nervous that night, though we were both hiding it quite well. We arrived too early at the outdoor mall and ended up spending some delightful quality time in front of a fireplace just talking. It was perfect. Once in the theater, the tension between us may just as well have been a wall for as thick and, sadly, impenetrable, as it was. Both too shy to touch the other, the movie played without action from either of us. Afterward, he drove me home. No. This was not the night I was to get my kiss.

Following that night, we had a conversation about how we both had intended to make a move on the other and both lacked the courage to do so. We discussed having wanted to put the arm rest up, take down that wall, and hold one another in the dark of the theater. We talked about how we each had wanted that night to end with a kiss and how neither of us could muster the nerve to do so. Just over a week after that night, he asked me again to see a movie with him. I very happily accepted and spent the whole day on edge, anxious for this night. Hoping for more than last time. He arrived to pick me up and we drove to the theater. We got out of the car and met behind it. I started walking toward the theater and he said "Wait." I turned to see what would hold us up and he pulled me to him and kissed me. Just like that. No warning. His lips against mine. My blood rushing to my cheeks, my heart and mind racing, caught so beautifully off guard. I returned the kiss gladly, beaming with pride, joy, lust, thoroughly enamored with this boy in front of me. When I finally stumbled back from him, I couldn't even speak. The ability to form a coherent thought was completely elusive to me. I remember what I did was to wrap my sweater tightly around me and try with all my might to contain my smile as we walked in silence to the ticket booth. As I type this, I've begun to cry. I didn't know then how much I would grow to love him and what a truly magical moment that would come to be in my life. It was electric then when it was a mere infatuation. I can hardly withstand the swell of emotion I feel now. I am such a GIRL!!

The movie itself went largely without incident. We did put the arm rest up, though not much holding occurred for our sheer lack of finesse. Afterward, however, when he drove me back to my car left in the parking lot of my work, we spent quite a while there in his backseat. Talking. ...Talking.

You would think this would be the point where I finally scored a new beau. You would think after that night we decided to become an item, knowing we connected well enough to begin to build a budding relationship. You would think that. But you would be wrong.

For now, though. I'm tired. I was instructed to update my blog tonight and I did that. I feel this is a good stopping point. Everyone loves a part two. If not, Hell, no one else will read this anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment